Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Serving Our Husbands


"Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement." 1Peter 3:6


This topic has been on my mind the past couple weeks and so I found myself wanting to share some of those thoughts with you, my few readers. One the kitchen cupboard next to the sink and window we have stuck our weekly routine and responsibilities. Each day has its own list of jobs to be completed, helping me to keep ontop of the house and keep focused on the important work of training up our Olive Plants to grown up towards the Son of Righteousness. For a selfish, fleshly woman this is sometimes a daily struggle!


Written in scraggly hand writting diagonal on the sheet are the words "In serving my family I am serving my Lord". This is the model for my life that has been instilled by those faithful sisters that have walked and laboured down this road before me, paving the way so that it is easier to follow in their, and ultimately our Lord's footsteps. Yes, there are still days where I struggle with this, but those are days I find I need more of the word and prayer.


Is it my imagination or has this highest of callings for a godly woman been pushed aside, forgotten and indeed begone to be looked down at by not only those in the world around us but in the ecclesial world as well. Perhaps it is because that generation that has gone before us is passing away, falling asleep to await the ressurection call.

"That they (the aged women) may teach the young women to be sober,
to love their husbands, to love their children,"
Titus 2:4

In order to be taught dear sisters we must also be willing to LISTEN to them, they are so much wiser then we are, in our immature spiritual state. Then we in turn must pass on these lessons to the next generation, to those that look up to us, even when we are not aware of that fact. A dear older sister made the briefest of comments the other day. I mentioned how I should be making them apple pie when they visit and her reply was "oh yes it is his fav" referring to her husband. "It's yours as well isn't it, as you always request it?" I asked "Well, in truth I prefer cherry, but then apple has been _______'s favorite since he was a wee one" was the reply! I was stunned. I had been taught a very important lesson!

Reading through that famous section in Proverbs 31, we soon see that the virtuous woman was one who spent her entire day seeing to the needs of her household. She is portrayed as completely selfLESS, what a drastic contrast with the way in which we are taught to put ourselves first....after all "we have needs".

"The heart of her husband doth safely
trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil."
Proverbs 31:11

Nothing is done that her husband would not approve of, she goes out and helps him with his work! Putting our husbands before ourselves can be in such simple things as deciding what to cook for dinner that night. Hubby detests fish and simply put will eat it if and when he is dying of starvation. On the other hand he loves beef. I was brought up on fish and hardly any beef! The last time we ate fish was while Hubby was away in France, at his parents. Do I buy fish? rarely. Do we eat fish? only in the summer, when I can BBQ a nice steak for him instead.

Wives we must be on the watch for ways to serve our husbands. Does he like a coffee in the morning, but is to rushed to drink it before he leaves for work? send it with him in a travel mug. Cultivate the same tastes in music, sports, etc. You may love fast paced action packed sports but he may prefer a family hike. Put his likes above your own and make an effort to enjoy them, you may be pleasantly surprised to find them fun and interesting. Does he enjoy watching the birds? put out a bird feeder, ignoring the mess it creates in the garden. Has he commented on something he remembers from a garden in his memories? plants some of those plants. Does he prefer you in skirts to pants? change your wardrobe. He loves you in some colour you hardly wear? when shopping look especially for something that you could wear in it.

If we saw these as pleasing to our God would we not make the changes in a heartbeat? They are so simple. I used to think they were so insignificant that it didn't matter, I am beginning to think otherwise. Sarah understood that Abraham was her head, in all things. He was her "kurios" = supreme in authority, controller. Wow. The feminists would have a hay day with that verse now then wouldn't they. If our minds are in the right bent then it becomes not an effort to please our husbands but a pleasure.

Hubby made a comment the day that he came home. We were all waiting for him, watching out the window and when his red car drove up, burst out the front door to greet him. Latter that evening he mentioned that "I felt blessed seeing you had made yourself ready for my arrival". Yes, we had dinner ready and waiting in the oven, the children were in clean shirts, I had run upstairs and put on a skirt he likes me in and a fresh top, washed my face and brushed my hair. I thought he hadn't even noticed, but he had.

Now every day it is on my mind to try to be prepared and ready for him when he comes home. Ready to greet him at the door, ready to quietly serve him and see to his needs before he asks (putting on the kettle to boil as he parks the car). It is admittedly a lot easier to finish up dinner after he gets home so he can keep an eye on the children, but it is so much more enjoyable to be ready to serve it to him and the children at the set table. After all he has had a hard day out in the "nasty world" as Magoo calls it and should be coming home to a welcome Haven.

Just a few thoughts I wanted to share. I hope that someone finds it helpful, I know that I did!

2 comments:

Mother By the River said...

I really REALLY enjoyed reading your post. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

So what do you do with your kids while you are fixing dinner?