Thursday, November 27, 2008

Some Quick Tips

So here I sit, half an hour before Hubby is expected home and I am not running around like an insane headless chicken. For the first 7 years of our marriage the hour before dinner was, well how do I put this nicely....um crazy, insane, STRESSED, usually involved me getting frustrated and yelling at the Goons. Starting a few months ago we tried something different around this little Bet-el. At 4:30 I decide what to cook for dinner and start it! even if it is pasta (such as tonight) I cut up the veggies (we eat a LOT of veggies) and get all the prep done so that hopefully dinner is ready and cooked about 15-20 minutes before Hubby gets home. WHY? you ask, well that gives me enough time to wash the pots and pans, wipe down the kitchen and dining room table and get the Goons (aged 3 & 5) to help Mama set the table. Otherwise I wouldn't have the patience to let them help me and I believe in the wise words of Solomon "Train Up A Child In the Way He Should Go".

Yeah, you are right that is speaking spiritually but I think it also applies to the dull, humdrum stuff too!

This afternoon was sisters class. Wonderful study on the Unclean and Clean Animals as found in Leviticus 11. So many good thoughts to chew on (pun fully intended!). Since Sprout fell asleep at Mums I got the whole class and then an hour visiting over a cup of tea and scones! Bliss!

So now the Goons are happily playing upstairs in the playroom and the downstairs is tidy (well, as tidy as a home with 3 Goons ever is!) and dinner is ready for Hubby to walk in and eat!

On to another subject: the Family Meal. As you may know Hubby has been working late when at home. I struggled with the debate over whether to feed the Goons before he gets home but have decided on another course of action. We all have a substantial snack mid-afternoon. Fruit & cheese, crackers, the odd piece of chocolate...toast & pb. Then the Goons and Mummy are content and happy to wait until 6 or 6:30pm to eat together.

We have found that eating (and praying together of course) really helps bind us together. We all (even the Goons) chat about our day, the ups and downs, laugh at the Goons jokes and such. After we clear the table we head straight into the living room for the daily Bible Readings. Which is a wonderful way to begin and end the day, but I'll save that for another post. It is time to turn on the outside lights (as the sun set an hour ago) and get myself looking nice to Welcome Hubby home too.

Blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay, I loved this post, what an inspiration you are!

Love in Christ always,
Amy :)