Friday, March 10, 2006

A couple thoughts on yesterday's readings:

We've been thoroughly enjoying our readings in the Psalms. Last night a couple of verses popped out at me. "I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts." (119:63) Who are our friends? Who do we spend time with? Is it brothers and sisters that believe in the same God that we do? Who share the same purpose of walking down the straight and narrow path to his Kingdom, striving to manifest Yahweh's character in our lives. Or on the other hand do we spend our time with those who do not believe in God, question His power in the creation, who worship mammon in all its various tempting forms. Of course we can't become friends with those in the ecclesia if we aren't there on a regular basis, and not just Sunday morning either! We need to reach out and make the effort, invite another sister (and her kids) over for a couple hours or have a couple over to do the readings. If perchance there are none your age there, then take the opportunity at every chance to visit another ecclesia with those your age or at your stage in life, there is no excuse! David was able to say that he was a friend of those who fear and love God. We must do the same! We are making the choice to either follow those in Christ towards the Kingdom or down to spiritual Egypt. At the end of the day it is truly a matter of life and death, is it not?

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word...It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." (119:67, 71) I know that I do not find pleasure in trials. Having said that though, I can think of a certain trial of faith and honestly say that without that I would not have come into the saving name of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is helpful and beneficial to our faith to look back over our lives and see our Father's hand at work to bring us unto salvation.

No comments: